Re: Emacs 21/22: french ç and œ

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs 21/22: french ç and œ
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:27:36 -0400

Uwe> I am not sure whether in french oe always should be represented
Uwe> by the symbol œ?
> No, it is not. The word « coefficient » is an exemple, it just can't
> be written « cœfficient ».

Indeed, kind of like the "ue -> ü" in German, where zuerst can't be
written zürst, but it's really one of a fairly few exceptions.
I don't know if that means that ("oe" ?œ) would be desirable or
annoying, tho.

> For what it's worth, also, writing « coeur » is incorrect, it can only
> be written « cœur ».

Never heard of that one, so maybe the French Academy made such
a decision at some point, but it hasn't seen much use.  Especially since
œ didn't even make it into latin-1 and was hence "unavailable" for
many years.

> IOW, 'œ' really is a first class caracter in French and isn't
> equivalent to 'oe'.

The "Robert" dictionary sorts "œ" as if it were "oe", so it's pretty
close to equivalent.

> A simple diff against the old file is ok? Or are some parameters needed
> for the diff?

Preferably -u (or failing that -c).

> Where shall I send this "patch"

Right here.