Summer of Code projects for GNU

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Summer of Code projects for GNU
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:34:24 +1200

In previous years the GNU Project has participated in the Summer of Code:

        http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas.html

and is mentoring some of those projects this year:

        http://code.google.com/soc/2008/gnu/about.html

In the past Emacs has not been directly involved but, assuming that Google run
a Summer of Code in 2009, I think that we should suggest some projects.  It's
still a long way off but successful projects appeared to be quite organised,
e.g.,

        http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-soc.html

At the moment, I'm just looking for some consensus.

For my part, I would like to suggest the migration of GDB in Emacs from
annotations to fully using GDB/MI and perhaps integration with ECB.  I have
quite clear ideas about how to do that and I am willing to do the mentoring.

But it would be good to have other suggestions, which would require mentoring,
too.