Re: visual-line-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:18:41 -0400

>> OK, do I understand you right? Basic movement commands (when
>> interactive) on by default as per Stefan's method (which I agree is
>> better given the new feature of vertical-motion), and C-a/C-e/C-k in a
>> minor mode as per my code.

> That doesn't make much sense -- _at least_ C-a/C-e need to act
> consistently with C-n/C-p.  It's mind-boggling confusing when they
> don't.

> Other commands, I dunno, though I think C-k should as well (Stefan
> apparently doesn't though).

I'm mostly using it on files with few line wrapping, so in this context,
visual-line movement for C-p and C-n is not harmful in my experience,
but for things like C-a, C-e, and C-k I find it annoying.  E.g. I expect
C-a C-k to kill the whole code line, not just the part that happens to
fit within my window's width.

Also C-k is odd when operating on a visual line: if the line is wrapped,
then after C-k you'd end up still having text after point, whereas
I usually expect that after C-k point is at EOL.

Maybe it's just me.

        Stefan