Re: visual-line-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:36:06 -0400

> I think that in order to be useful, this feature ought to be provided as
> a minor mode that rebinds keys, not a direct modification of the motion
> code like in your patch.  Then we can also handle C-k etc. properly.

Could be.  Then again, it's probably easier to do it right by modifying
the code of kill-line (tho, to tell you the truth, I'm far from).

This said, I find that visual-line movement works well *all the time*
(literally).  I've never felt like turning it off and the few times I've
bumped into it unexpectedly, I was positively surprised.

OTOH, I don't think I'd like C-k to work on visual lines (I know I hate
this behavior in Firefox), so maybe we should distinguish the
screen-line movements (which I could even consider turning on by
default) from other screen-line operations.

        Stefan