Re: ^M in the info files

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: ^M in the info files
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:16:14 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Kenichi Handa wrote:
> > In article <address@hidden>, "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> > Oops, sorry.  But, I can't see the ^M problem in info files.
> > Actually, on Windows, when I type C-h i, I get this error:
> >
> >   Can't find the Info directory node
> >
> > But, when I type C-u C-h i ~/emacs/info/efag RET (I built
> > Emacs under ~/emacs),  I see no '^M's.

> Perhaps the version of makeinfo you have is not generating files with
> DOS line ends. Mine is,

It seems so.

> and even opening info/efaq with C-x C-f shows
> the ^M characters, though I don't see any inconsistencies that should
> cause line-end detection to fail and Emacs 22.2 opens it correctly with
> a DOS coding system.

I've just found that the file "efaq" contains null-bytes
('\0') after "Concept Index\n********\n\n".  "viper" also
contains null-bytes.  So, Emacs detects that those files are
binary.  Hmmm, what should we do?  Make a new variable
inhibit-null-byte-detection (analogous to
inhibit-iso-escape-detection)?  Or, make the code of
null-byte detection checks the percentage of null-byte, and
conclude that the file is binary only when the percentage is
higher than some threshold?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden