Re: ^M in the info files

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: ^M in the info files
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 04:56:25 +0200

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 04:44, Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> wrote:

> No, but I haven't had a time to work on it.

Sorry if it seemed a request; I was just making sure it didn't went lost.

>> The sequence is this:
>
>>  - I have a ChangeLog, apparently correct, up-to-date with the repository.
>>  - I modify it, typically by adding a new ChangeLog entry.
>>  - I commit in from inside Emacs, with vc-next-action followed by
>> log-edit-done.
>>  - I see the diff in emacs-diffs and notice that an empty line has
>> been deleted. This seems to happen more to empty lines that separate
>> paragraphs from date/author lines (as opposed to empty space between
>> paragraphs), but I have no hard data, just a feeling.
>>  - I edit the ChangeLog to see what's happened. All the lines end in ^M.
>>  - I remove the ^M (with replace-string <ENTER> ^M^J <ENTER> ^J) [I
>> don't write the ChangeLog, it's just to make it easier spot problems.]
>>  - At that point (after removing the ^Ms) the line with the problem
>> has this aspect:

I think you're mixing two different bugs. The one I referred to in the
"has [...] been forgotten" message is about ^M in info files, which
happens right now in the Windows port (there has been at least three
reporters, including me).

> But, I can't reproduce the bug.  The diff of the step 4
> above shows only the entry I added.

What you quote above is from a problem with ChangeLogs that only I
see, apparently, so it's no wonder you cannot reproduce it. *I* cannot
reproduce it at will, alas...

> What was the coding
> system of your ChangeLog file when you first visitted it?

utf-8-dos, AFAICS.

  Juanma