Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:10:42 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

 > > In contrary I think cua-mode is an excellent help for many
 > > beginners.
 >
 > But should we make them beginners forever?

The people who are beginners at any given time are beginners at that
time.  This will be true forever, and at present rates of growth
that's about half as long as it will take Emacs to get a majority
share of editor users.  (I don't think that's an appropriate goal; I
simply propose that there will be plenty of people to recruit to be
beginners forever.)

 > Could be just me, but I don't remember things being that bad

Oh, wow.  I do.  I remember when ESC quit anything, except that ESC
ESC ESC ESC replied, "Buwhahaha!  Can't hack buffers, can you?" and
left you in the minibuffer.

(Actually, I'm making up the Buwhahaha! part.  The rest is true.)

But that's beside the point.  Yes, David, you are different from the
majority of beginning users of editors these days.  That is, they
want their editor to have no learning curve at all.  It should start
out easy, and stay easy, and do things for them.  They do not want to
learn anything about the editor.