Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:45:52 +0200

M Jared Finder <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>> The discussion about this major incompatible change
>> should not be limited to the people on this list.
>
> I have introduced *many* people to Emacs and within the first day, I
> always hear:
>
> "How do I make Cut/Copy/Paste work like every other program?"
> "How do I make highlighting work like every other program?"
>
> I then tell them the answer (cua-mode), and 60% of the time they say,
> "Why isn't that the default, LIKE IN EVERY OTHER PROGRAM?"

Because its keybindings conflict with that of Emacs.

> By then, they're noticeably pissed off and already have a bad feeling
> about Emacs.  About 75% of the people I introduce Emacs to leave, and
> the only reason why is that cut/copy/paste and highlighting is very
> different.

Emacs is different in many other ways, so they would not have stayed for
long, anyway.

> Their experience is otherwise positive, but this awful first
> impression stays with them for the rest of their days.
>
> If you want to keep users coming to Emacs to stay with Emacs, cua-mode
> should be on by default.

Nope.  If you want to keep users coming to Emacs to stay just for a few
days, cua-mode should be on by default.  It will get into your way
eventually because it makes Emacs inconsistent with itself rather than
with other applications, and that's something that does not go away
after getting used to it.  Whereas the difference to other applications
ceases to annoy once you use Emacs for everything.

Anyway, this discussion was about transient-mark-mode, and that does
even less make Emacs behave like other applications with regard to
highlighting and cut&paste.