Re: proced.el -- operate on processes like dired

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: proced.el -- operate on processes like dired
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 02:01:55 +0100

>  I am sorry for my ignorance...In what context is killing a useful
>  operation in a dired buffer? I revert my dired buffers pretty often
>  and this recovers any killed lines.

Yes, that's right, revert gets the lines back. The primary reason I
use kill is to avoid information overload when working with files. I
might mark files containing some regexp and the hits might be
distributed in many remote places in the directory. Toggling and
killing brings the marked files all neatly together, letting me work
with them easily. I too thought it was a strange feature to begin
with, but now I cannot live without it.

>  If there is a command proced-do-kill-lines analogous to
>  dired-do-kill-lines, it might be confusing that "killing" is usually
>  a very different and permanent operation in the context of unix
>  processes. (Right now k is bound to proced-send-signal. Certainly I
>  could change that. But what is the most intuitive / the least
>  counterintuitive key binding?)

Yes, `kill' in this context might be confusing. What about `flush'
which is used already in `flush-lines'. Or `remove' or `delete'?

/Mathias