Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:25:24 -0400

    Should tabs perhaps be more general than that in Emacs?

It would be useful if a tab could run some command so as to
create the desired buffer, if the buffer doesn't exist yet.

The easiest way to do that would be to have an alist mapping buffer
names into the way to create them.  Then `get-buffer-create' or
`switch-to-bufer' could execute the specified code when it creates
a buffer with that name.  This would be useful for views
that are supposed to display certain automatically-generated data.

Do you have any other generalization to suggest?

    Another note about tabs: When considering such features is not that also
    a good time to consider something like wxwidgets?

Maybe yes.  The screens of today's computers are much bigger, so space
for the text is no longer at a great premium.  So there is no pressing
reason not to use toolkit widgets around each window to make it look
nicer.  We definitely want to get away from the current limit that window
sizes must be multiples of a "line height".

Whether wxwindows is the right way to do this, I have no opinion, since
I don't know much about it.  Can wxwindows work with Gtk?