Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 01:50:39 +0000 (UTC)

    What I meant is that tabs are only a graphical representation of the
    list of privileged buffers for a specific window, right ?

No.  Buffers may appear in more than one window on more than one
frame.

The `switch-to-buffer' function switches Emacs attention and editing
to a different buffer which may already be shown in another frame, a
second frame but not in the first.  The different buffer becomes
visible in the first frame, so it is visible in two frames.

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Tue, 2008 Mar 25  20:54 UTC
GNU Emacs 23.0.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.5)
started with

     /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q -nbc

I don't have tabs.  Presumably, they would invoke the same command,
`switch-to-buffer' as the usual keybinding does, `C-x b'.

(The tabs would contain the buffer argument of
  (switch-to-buffer BUFFER &optional NORECORD)
The usual keybinding does not.)

(Incidentally, I think that two kinds of command are useful, one
evoking `switch-to-buffer' and the other `switch-to-workspace'.  These
could be evoked as two kinds of tab for those who want that and two
keybindings for those who want that.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden