Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:11:59 +0100

martin rudalics wrote:
I don't understand.  In your example you bind `window-min-height' to 1
only while you split the window.  When you resize the frame the binding
is not effective - presumably the top-level value is used instead.

Eh, yes. sorry.

 > Maybe, but in that case I have seen another one too. The layout when I
 > first saw this was:
 >
 > xxxxxxxxx
 > x   x   x
 > x   x   x
 > x   x   x
 > xxxxxxxxx
 > x       x
 > xxxxxxxxx
 >
 > Three windows. The bottom 1-line window disappeared. (This was in ediff
 > with the control panel in the same frame.)

Yes, but in general the ediff frame is not maximized when it's created,
hence people usually won't see that.  I suppose you somehow managed to
start with a maximized frame and a one-text-line control panel.

That is just how ediff starts with a maximized frame and the control panel in the same frame as the buffers you use ediff on.

When
you de-maximize that frame the shrinking mechanism may remove the
control panel window provided `window-min-height' evals to the standard
value 4.

"may remove" - are you suggesting this is not a bug? Or are you just saying you see that the code is written that way?

Setting `window-min-height' to 1 when the window wants a modeline is
asking for trouble and the documentation should say so.  However Emacs
should handle this case gracefully.

Yes. But I am a little bit sorry for having mixed this trouble with the one I actually saw in ediff. Anyway it is of course very good that you are taking care of the window-min-height=1 problem.