Re: merging Emacs.app

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: merging Emacs.app
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 14:30:35 +0000

On 9 Mar 2008, at 13:27, David Kastrup wrote:

If David gets substantially more money out of Aquamacs than he sinks
into it, he really needs to tell me his secret.

Unfortunately I haven't found that secret either.

I do think that adequate compensation is important quite generally. The usual options did not appear promising. Asking for very low download fees ($1-2 per download) doesn't work because micropayment systems are missing, and because it encourages no-value added forks. Selling a manual or so doesn't work because the revenue probably doesn't even compensate the author of the book that hasn't been written (and costs money to be printed). Selling additional consulting services is a no-go either because Emacs is used at universities or by coders, but not much by enough large companies who would pay consultants to write Lisp code. I like the user-driven "wishlist" systems where users promise sums for specific features, but I haven't seen them work for any project yet.

Now, money isn't the main motivator, even though it pays the rent. Work on free software is, in my case, booked under "academic service", about like when I review papers for conferences and the occasional journal every now and then. But it also means that I do what's fun and productive, and I try to avoid other things.

But in the long run, the movement needs a better answer to the compensation question.