Re: merging Emacs.app

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: merging Emacs.app
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:34:27 -0800

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

  > On 8 Mar 2008, at 17:14, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  >
  > > There's another difference: Emacs.app is doing things the right way:
  > > it is trying to get merged in Emacs.  No such attempt from Aquamacs
  > > until
  > > now.
  >
  > We cannot go for a merge, since we support a number of features for
  > which an implementation does not exist on GNU/Linux.  That's why we
  > can't even have "GNU Aquamacs".

Sorry, but it's impossible to believe that there's _nothing_ that can be
contributed back.
(And again the comments about the superiority to Emacs on the website
are mildly annoying).

  > I submit changes where I see fit, but all of the Aquamacs changes are
  > also openly visible in our CVS.  If you like to integrate specific
  > features, then I'd be happy to explain specific changes.  I'd like to
  > see as many people use those as possible, so do let me know.

Very few people here have access to Macs, so we can't test whatever is
visible there.  It is better that merge requests originate from people
that know the features/code.

  > > It also has a place where it talks about the great contributions
  > > back to
  > > Emacs <drumroll> bug reporting for Mac </drumroll>.
  > > And bug reports from Aquamacs are sometime forwarded here, we do get
  > > do some debugging for Aquamacs too.
  >
  > In almost all cases, it is me (and really only me) reproducing and
  > tracing these bugs before or after reporting them.  If you prefer me
  > to ignore and swallow those user's bug reports,

We prefer to hear about bugs in emacs-22.1, EMACS_22_BASE, and CVS HEAD,
so it is better to reproduces the bugs on one of those versions using
emacs -Q, and then report it here.