Re: capslock changes control characters?

From: Chris Moore
Subject: Re: capslock changes control characters?
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:15:05 +0100

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Or add ctrl:nocaps to your XKB options.

I don't want to disable the capslock key, I just want it to work properly.

When capslock is on, the letters a-z should become A-Z, but that's
all.  I don't expect 1 to become ! (shifted 1), and I don't expect C-q
to become C-S-q.  Capslock should only act on regular letters, not on
control keys.

Another example:  in a *shell* buffer, I expect M-p to take me to a
previous command in the shell history.  If capslock is on, it just
inserts a p into the buffer.  I don't know why it inserts a lowercase
'p' (capslock is on, after all), but this is what C-h k tells me:

  p (translated from M-P) runs the command self-insert-command, which is
  an interactive built-in function in `C source code'.

Chris.