Re: Debbugs testbed

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Debbugs testbed
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:16:18 -0800

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Yes, that would be good. I've used the "index packages" command, but
> it would make sense to have it available from the web page as well.

I've renabled it. (I used the default apache configuration which
denies it from most hosts.)

> > The 'release-critical' url is also specific to Debian, but what
> > usually is present there can also be set up for emacs once the
> > maintainers decide what bugs qualify as release critical. ;-)
>
> That might indeed be helpful. Tho I'm not sure how that would work.
> E.g. how can I specify that it's release-critical for Emacs-22.2
> rather than release-critical for Emacs-23.1?

The way this is typically done is by severity+versioning.

So bugs of severity > than a certain level are release critical; you
can indicate whether a bug is fixed or not in a particular version
using the version tracking. [That is, you would either close the bug
with a Version pseudoheader, or use fixed foobug fooversion; in a
command to control.]

Then, assuming the BTS knows what version of the 22 series 23.1 is a
decendant of, bugs that are fixed there are automatically marked fixed
in all decendants of that version, but are still marked buggy all
decendants of an unfixed version (and unknown in all other versions.)
[It may be worthwhile to tie this to VCS versions, but the code to do
that integration isn't there.[1]]

You can see the graphs of what I'm talking about for a semi-complex
package in Debian here:

http://tinyurl.com/2mtud7 [2]

> >> I'm presuming now if I send my previous reports using
> >> report-emacs-bug that they will end up in the database. Is that
> >> right?
>
> I believe this is not yet the case. Don?

AFAICT, that's not yet the case. It's basically waiting for one of the
mail administrators to put in the hook to send bugs, or for me to do
it manually.

Don Armstrong

1: And I would really need to think out what the right method of
handling the correspondance between a VCS version and a release
version.

2:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/version.cgi?info=1;width=;found=21.3%2B1-5;found=21.3%2B1-8;found=emacs21%2F21.4a-3;height=;package=emacs21;format=png;collapse=1;ignore_boring=0
--
Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed.
 -- Robert Heinlein _Time Enough For Love_ p250