Re: legal status of progmodes/sym-comp.el

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: legal status of progmodes/sym-comp.el
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 00:36:20 +0000

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

>> Indeed, in general, but that was a mistake.  You can use the sym-comp
>> code if it's now acceptable for some reason.
>
> Okay.  Thanks for the clarification!

I should have said that one reason you can't -- or, at least, couldn't
-- just take even assigned code into Emacs is that it may not be covered
by employer disclaimer, if that still makes any difference.  (I don't
understand the lawyer's comments on the issues that worried me.)  That
code is old enough not to be a problem, though.

However, there's no point unless it's merged back into lisp.el.  If you
read the commentary, the whole point is to provide one of the missing
abstractions over major mode features.