Re: emacs bootstrap hangs on Windows XP / mingw

From: Dieter Deyke
Subject: Re: emacs bootstrap hangs on Windows XP / mingw
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 09:28:03 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Dieter Deyke <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:52:46 -0700
>>
>> make[2]: Entering directory
>> `C:/Users/deyke/emacs-build/subdir/work/admin/unidata'
>> "../../src/oo-spd/i386/emacs.exe" -Q --multibyte -batch -f
>> batch-byte-compile unidata-gen.el
>> Cannot open load file: encoded-kb
>> make[2]: *** [unidata-gen.elc] Error -1
>
> Please try again, but with a freshly checked-out CVS tree.
>
> Thanks.

I did, and this time the bootstrap process completed with no obvious
errors. I had some problems though to run the newly built emacs,
because it would pick up cygwin's version of libXpm.dll whenever cygwin
was in the PATH, and that made emacs hang. I could resolve this by
copying mingw's version into emacs's bin directory.

On another note, reading the bootstrap logfile would be much easier if
rm and mkdir error messages would be suppressed. On my system rm -f and
mkdir -p do not generate error messages if the file is not there, or the
directory already exists.

Also, I had to install sed for the bootstrap to work. The need for sed
is not mentioned in the readme files I found.

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated,
--
Dieter Deyke
mailto:address@hidden mailto:address@hidden mailto:address@hidden