Re: Improving X selection?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 08:08:07 +0100

David De La Harpe Golden skrev:
On 03/02/2008, David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
On 03/02/2008, Jan D. wrote:
Are you saying that one can't set mark, move the point with the mouse
and then do stuff like M-w, C-x C-x anymore?  If so, I think that is
totally unacceptable, it makes mouse-set-point almost unusable.

Well,  agreed:

Or not...

It "only" causes a problem with mixed keyboard/mouse-1 i.e.
(d) hit keyboard C-SPC to set mark and then use mouse-1-click
(mouse-set-point) with the expectation of defining an active region.

Uh. Did (d) work before?  It probably did, I just don't have an
unmutilated emacs to hand to check.

No, it didn't work that way without the patch: when you
mouse-set-point (mouse-1-click) in CVS emacs, the region deactivates
anyway, which _is_ normal behaviour in X11 applications come to think
of it (mouse-1-drag highlight some text in firefox, mouse-1-click
somewhere else...).

Okay, I guess I read "remove mark" instead of deactivate mark. As long as C-x C-x works it is OK.

        Jan D.