Re: customize-set-(value|variable) [was: apropos commandsforcommands, us

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: customize-set-(value|variable) [was: apropos commandsforcommands, user options, all functions, all variables]
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:32:52 +0000 (UTC)

    I don't use `M-:' each time I want to evaluate an expression. I do
    use an init file. Why do you assume otherwise?

Because you said, "much handier than using `setq' with `M-:'".

I agree, "There is no one way to use Emacs."  Put another way, the
customise functions modify .emacs without the novice (or a more
experienced person) necessarily learning the Emacs Lisp that underlies
the modification.

I agree, different people use Emacs differently.  But the hope still
is that just about everyone will learn to set variables, write simple
defuns in their .emacs -- that sort of thing.  It is like the
adaptation to cars, which Americans made several generations ago:
everyone has to learn to drive on the correct side of the road because
many drivers cannot avoid a collision if you do not.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden