Re: unicode-2, Emacs.app terminal mode after multi-tty merge

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: unicode-2, Emacs.app terminal mode after multi-tty merge
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:49:45 +0300

> > however before releasing I need to solve one remaining problem: when
> > run as -nw, the default face is set to green foreground, yellow
> > background.  (If I go to customize-face it actually says "green" and
> > "yellow".)  This occurs with emacs -Q -nw and is new -- unicode-2 CVS
> > before the merge produces a black-on-white default face.

I tracked this down a bit and found the green/yellow is coming from
FACE_TTY_DEFAULT_FG_COLOR and FACE_TTY_DEFAULT_BG_COLOR in
dispextern.h: these are defined to 2 and 3 respectively.  Meanwhile
tty-defined-color-alist is:

 (("black" 0 0 0 0)
("red" 1 52685 0 0)
("green" 2 0 52685 0)
("yellow" 3 52685 52685 0)
("blue" 4 0 0 61166)
("magenta" 5 52685 0 52685)
("cyan" 6 0 52685 52685)
("white" 7 58853 58853 58853))

So green and yellow are coming from indices 2/3 in that list.  I'm
getting the feeling something isn't working right, since these are
supposed to be markers for "unknown", not indices into a color list,
but I'm not sure what it is, or why this would be selectively failing
under the Cocoa port, since none of that code should affect tty
operation at all.

Also this color list seems a little strange, why does white get 58853
instead of 65535?  I know there is color approximation code in
tty-colors.el, but why would it even get activated for 'white', or if
so, why not generate 65535?

I'll keep investigating, but if anyone has any ready insight on any of
these issues, it is appreciated.