Re: recenter-top-bottom

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: recenter-top-bottom
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:12:24 +0000

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I like the new definition of `recenter-top-bottom'.  But there is one
>>> problem: it doesn't work when point is close to the end of the buffer.
>>>
>>> It doesn't put point to the upper half of the window but this
>>> is possible with other commands (because the end of the buffer
>>> is not attached to the end of the window in Emacs).
>>
>> Or at or near the beginning of the buffer. Depending on what you mean by
>> "work".
>>
>> I think it DTRT in these cases, but you're welcome to tweak it.
>
> When point is at the end of the buffer and at the middle of the window
> then typing C-l could move it to the beginning of the window.

I often type C-l when to point is *near* the middle of the buffer, just
to slightly adjust the display.  Sometimes, the point is already in the
very middle and I don't notice it, and typing C-l just leaves the point
where it is -- which is fine.

I would find it disturbing to see the point jumping at the beginning of
the window when it is at the middle of the window.  For me, the middle
of the window is kind of a gravity center, and hitting C-l should go
there first, even when the point is already at the middle of the window.

--
Bastien