Re: 23.0.50; vc-diff needs CVS repository now

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; vc-diff needs CVS repository now
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 12:43:11 -0500

Glenn Morris <address@hidden>:
> Any comment on this? The part of vc-diff-internal that does a local
> diff where possible seems to have disappeared in the 2007-10-10 change
> "rewrite for filesets".

That's right, because the front end was the wrong place to do it.
Modern VCS diff tools automatically stay local when they can.
Subversion diff does the right thing, and it's not even an issue
in the 3G systems (they keep local repositories).  It's the
kind of variation that should be handled in the VCS-specific back ends.

Actually CVS is the only awkward case.  So what ought to happen is
for something like the old stay-local logic to be implemented in the CVS
back end.

This is one of my two remaining to-do items for the mode.  But someone
who is more of a CVS expert than I might get it done faster.