Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:21:27 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> Because the 8.3 name restriction has a negative effect for _all_
>> developers.
>
> What negative effects? can you show them in the archives?  AFAIR, this
> is about the first such issue in years.

It's a periodic event.  Someone adds a file, then someone else says "hey
rename that, it conflicts in 8.3-space with mumble-mumble."  Usually the
new name is uglier.  No I'm not going to spend the time searching for
archive references.

It's not the worst burden in the world, but it's stupid.  I don't _want_
to pick substandard names for new files unless there's actually a
benefit to doing so, and in that case the "benefit" seems pretty
elusive.

Does _anybody_ use msdos Emacs?  I'm sure there are 2 or 3 remaining
machines that run msdos, but it seems a pretty good bet that they're
being used for industrial control in a factory somewhere, not for
running an up-to-date versions of emacs.  Even the most conservative
users have moved on to windows or some other system by now.  Are we
_ever_ going to drop support for this silly obsolete relic?  Does
anybody else still support msdos?

In the end it's a cost-benefit analysis.  Sure the cost of supporting
msdos is fairly small -- but the benefits seem far smaller.

-Miles

--
Americans are broad-minded people.  They'll accept the fact that a person can
be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a