Re: messages override minibuffer input

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: messages override minibuffer input
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:53:05 -0400

> That change goes too far.  In the case you describe, do_autoload
> should not display the message.  But in many other cases it should.

Good you mention it because I've been meaning to ask (for a long time
already) why it is that autoloading a package causes a "loading
<foo>" message.
You seem to say it has an important role to play, but I never found it
useful, and I always found it odd that autoloading displays such
messages while requiring a package doesn't.  What am I missing?

        Stefan