Re: Emacs 22 branch created.

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 branch created.
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 09:21:55 +0200

() Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
() Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:06:58 -0400

       The only other controversy seems to be the encoding stuff.  I
       don't really understand Richard's objections to what people
       suggested (i.e., store the messages undecoded).

   It would require either (1) displaying messages in a separate buffer
   or (2) reencoding the text when you move away to display another
   message or save the file.

   #1 is intolerable because it means C-x b RMAIL RET won't take you to
   the current message.

   #2 is quite a pain to implement.

it seems to me the two design criteria are to maintain the same buffer
and to maintain the same (undecoded, mbox format) text on disk.  so how
about displaying the decoded message in the current buffer as an overlay
of the (undecoded) text?  overlays do not get saved, normally, and can
be made to show the decoded message.  this satisfies the criteria.

thi