Re: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 23:44:56 -0400

> I don't find your arguments entirely convincing for rejecting all
> other names, but names that follows your ideas could be good ones.
> I think of `browse-images' and `image-dired'.  The latter is better
> since it is more specific.
>
> We should rename tumme now, one way or another, before it is in a release.
> Would someone please do this?

This is a spectacularly bad idea, but I guess this is one of those
"avoid weeks of useless argument" situations.

So, fine.

I renamed "tumme" to "thumbnails".  I found "image-dired" unsuitable
because there would be functions called "image-dired-dired-next-line"
and so forth (which can't be renamed "image-dired-next-line" because
there is already such a function).  Also, tumme was not *only* used
with Dired.

[Cue 1000 line essay by Drew Adams about why "thumbnails" is a poor
choice of name.  Whatever, dude.]