Re: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 10:52:47 -0400

    In a way, you are correct. What tumme does is just display files,
    files that just happen to be images. I guess most of what it does can
    be applied to many types of files. Still, the primary use is images
    and I suspect that will be the case for a long time. But I might be
    wrong.

It is mainly for images, but it is not the only way Emacs can display
images.
What is special about tumme is that it displays small versions of things.
I.e., thumbnails.

So it makes sense to use the term "thumb" in a name for this mode.
But we should use it in English, not in Swedish.  World-wide,
lots more Emacs users know English than know Swedish.

Even if Tumme is not limited to operating on (strictly speaking)
images, displaying on videos will be a less common use, and it is a
natural extension of displaying images.

So I think that it is also fine to use the word "image" in a new name
for Tumme.  There is no need to reject it.

How about `thumbnail-images'?