Re: tramp and diff-mode results in Emacs crash

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp and diff-mode results in Emacs crash
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:50:31 +0100

Dale Sedivec <address@hidden> writes:

>       OK, I tried Emacs CVS checked out today, February 25th, at
> 16:25:45 EST, and TRAMP is working again.  I can now reproduce my bug
> using the same procedure described previously:
>
> - ~/software/emacs22/bin/emacs -q
> - C-x C-f /10.0.1.169:foo.rej RET
> - C-c C-u
>
>       I see only "Back to top level."  The diff is unmodified by the
> command.  Menus stop working, C-x C-b says "Back to top level." or
> nothing, C-x b alternates between "S" and "Back to top level." in the
> minibuffer without ever letting me change buffers, etc.
>
>       So this bug exists in Emacs from CVS using the included TRAMP
> 2.0.55.

What I can say is that I can reproduce the problem with a fresh GNU
Emacs 22.0.94 and builtin Tramp 2.0.55 (thanks for the example foo.rej).

With Tramp 2.1.9-pre from its CVS, same Emacs, this problem doesn't happen.

Hard to debug, because everything freezes. I suspect some concurrent
process filters fighting each other. I'll come back later (but this
might last one or two days).

> Dale

Best regards, Michael.