Re: copyrights to be fixed

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: copyrights to be fixed
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:21:39 +0100

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

>   > How well does the multi-tty branch actually work?
>
> I have used emacs from the multi-tty branch for at least 2 years
> almost exclusively. I connect/disconnect X11 and tty frames to the
> same emacs instance all the time.
>
>   > Are there major gaps in the features?
>
> AFAIK the main missing thing is that the Windows and Mac ports
> probably don't even compile, they have not been kept up to date with
> the rest of the changes. It shouldn't be too hard for someone that
> knows those platforms to fix this.

Well, from what Lőrentey wrote, it would seem like these architecture
problems are pretty much constrained to "simple changes" and most
likely constrained to few files.

Since the multi-tty branch currently has no really active maintainer
but is considered robust, it would probably be the safest strategy to
merge it first to HEAD, iron out the platform specific problems, only
_then_ merge the unicode branch.  In that way, the multi-tty branch
merge requires less work and its success can be estimated better on
the various platforms.  While this shifts a good part of the merge
load to the unicode branch merge, we have more expertise available
there.

Since the overlap between the branches should also be not too high, I
think that should be doable.