Re: Image mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:15:54 -0500

> Scheme 3: No image autodetection
>  - Images are not autodetected.  Only auto-mode-alist is used.
>  - In particular, XPM and XBM images are opened in C mode (see above).

It would make a lot of sense to add entries to auto-mode-alist so as to open
*.xpm and *.xbm in "c-mode + image-minor-mode".  Similarly, postscript-mode
(c|sh)ould automatically turn on image-minor-mode.

> Personally, I think scheme 2 may be a good compromise.

I prefer scheme number 3, of course: it's the simplest of all.

Also users know how to tweak auto-mode-alist to get the mode they want for
specific files, and we've already seen several people annoyed/surprised that
it doesn't work when the mode is detected by magic-mode-alist, so I think
that as much as possible we should stick to using only auto-mode-alist.

        Stefan