Re: Image mode

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 16:38:22 -0500

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> Even if the image lacks a recognized image file extension? I.e., do
>> you think that opening a .c file containing a JPEG should
>>
>> 1) Start in image-mode and display the image
>> 2) Start in C mode, image-minor-mode and display the image
>> 3) Start in image-mode and not display the image
>> 4) Start in C mode, image-minor-mode and not display the image
>> 5) Start in fundamental mode, image-minor-mode and display the image
>> 6) Start in fundamental mode, image-minor-mode and not display the image
>> 7) Start in C mode and bypass image mode (major and minor)
>> 8) Start in fundamental mode and bypass all mode detection
>
> I think 4 is the most reasonable choice.

The problem with 4, as I see it, is that the user may not notice the
file is in image-minor-mode.  Typing C-c C-c could then lead to
unexpected behavior.

I think, if we go with autodetection at all, it is better to ask the
user in the event of any confusion, rather than using
image-minor-mode.

Of course, if we scrap image autodetection, there is no problem at all
(in the sense that we don't *expect* Emacs to handle this case).