Re: Image mode

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 11:58:26 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>> As I mentioned in a preceding email, I think the recently-added
>> `disabled' tag for image-toggle-display should be removed.  I think we
>> can leave the behavior where you have to type C-c C-c to display an
>> image after entering image-mode; but we should provide an option (not
>> enabled by default) to display images automatically upon entering
>> image-mode, as before.
>
> I agree.

Me too.

In fact, I find the current issue of image auto-detection pretty silly.

What we are trying to "fix" is when a user _ACTIVELY OPENS_ an image
file with C-x C-f ... and in 99.99% of the time, the user will know
perfectly what the file contains (after all, it is already installed
on his own machine -- or from some trusted source -- where he will
really want to view the image).

In contrast, if someone sends me a JPEG image in an email, Gnus
will happily show it to me without asking (at least with the
settings I'm using).  So where's the protection in that case?

And so does Firefox - which happily shows images from sources which
are by definition _untrusted_!

IMO, let image files opened with C-x C-f be shown automatically as
they did until recently.  I don't even see a reason to be able to
disable it.