Re: Color-theme problems in Emacs 22+ (Ubuntu, Windows)

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Color-theme problems in Emacs 22+ (Ubuntu, Windows)
Date: 30 Jan 2007 13:21:27 +0100

Hello Chong,

>>     I just installed Ubuntu Edgy 6.10, and still experiences
>>     problems with `color-theme' (versions 6.5.4, 6.5.5 and
>>     6.6.0) under Emacs Snapshot (GTK).
>>
>>     I see some of my colors sometimes (for example, when
>>     editing my .emacs file), but it's never ever applied to
>>     my Group buffer. In other words, I cannot tell anymore
>>     which groups contain or not unread mails (as I expect
>>     them to become bold if they contain unread material).
>
> I can't reproduce this.  I did the following:
>
> - downloaded the latest version of color-theme (color-theme-6.6.0.tar.gz)
> - moved all the elisp files in the tarfile into ~/.emacs.d/lisp
>   (which is in my load-path)
> - M-: (setq color-theme-libraries "~/.emacs.d/lisp") RET
> - M-x load-file RET ~/color-theme-sva.el RET
>   (the color-theme file provided in the original bug report)
> - M-x gnus RET
>
> The resulting group buffer is displayed in purple and black, with
> groups containing unread messages in bold, as expected.

It's weird you tell me you see it in purple. Following my
color-theme, you should see `gnus-group-mail-3-*-face' in dark
green.

See http://www.mygooglest.com/sva/Emacs21.png.

> This is on GNU Emacs 22.0.92.36 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
> Version 2.8.20), on Ubuntu Dapper.

To be sure to be better sync'ed with your configuration, I made
another checkout of Emacs 22 a couple of days ago, and I rebuilt
everything yesterday.

The resulting version string is:

    This is GNU Emacs 22.0.93.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
    of 2007-01-29 on mundaneum.

> Please make sure you have color-theme.el installed correctly, and try
> to simplify your color-theme file to the smallest possible testcase
> that can produce this bug.

I've done the following:

    o   ultra-simplified my .emacs file - see attachment;

    o   ultra-simplified my .gnus file - see attachment;

    o   triple-checked that I'm loading the last version of
        color-theme - see the Messages buffers attached.

What I did:

    o   launched emacs21 with the simplified config file (this
        calls color-theme, and uses my own theme - see
        attachment);

    o   launched gnus (the default one, here 5.9) with the
        simplified config file;

    o   opened an article;

    o   added a window with `M-x list-colors-display'.

You see the resulting view in the screenshot to be found at:

    http://www.mygooglest.com/sva/Emacs21.png

You can see that everything is pretty normal, with `GNU Emacs
21.4.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
2006-09-15 on rothera, modified by Debian'.

Next steps:

    o   launched the version of Emacs 22 that I built yesterday
        with the *same config file*;

    o   launched gnus (the default one, here 5.11) with the *same*
        *config file*;

    o   opened an article;

    o   added a window with `M-x list-colors-display'.

Now, while everything was the same from my point of view (my
Emacs and Gnus config files, my color-theme) - with the
exception of the version of Gnus [but, from older tests, I can
say this is not the problem], you can see that the layout is
very very different, on the following screenshot:

    http://www.mygooglest.com/sva/Emacs22.png

You can notice that even the `list-colors-display' buffer is
completely "black on white only" (with the exception of the
tabulations that I always visualize in yellow, as asked in my
.emacs file).

Though, as I already said, I cannot say that nothing is applied
from my color-theme. For example:

    o   the subject title is well displayed in bold orange, but
        that's more or less the only thing...

    o   the contents of my Emacs file is correctly displayed,
        with my favorite colors (but this is not shown here on
        the screenshot).

To summarize, why I tend to say that there is a problem inside
Emacs 22+, it's because the only real change is the version of
Emacs. None of my config files are changing between the
different tests. And, to remind you, I also have the exact same
problems under Windows, with versions 22+.

But I guess we tackle here a very complex interaction between
many different components...

Thank you for all the support you already have and will
provide to me!

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban