Re: transpose-sexps

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: transpose-sexps
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 22:02:39 +0200

Miles Bader wrote:
> Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden> writes:
> > As long as other other "sexp" is empty it doesn't make sense to
> > "transpose" with it.  Humans are not computers, they will get only
> > confused by it.  Or what do you mean by " " sexp?
>
> A string is an sexp.  " " is a string containing a single space.
>
> Emacs sees on the left side of point, a sexp: " ", and on the right side
> of point, another sexp: f.  It swaps them.  That's what the command
> does.

I see now.

> [Maybe, as Richard mentioned, it should be more friendly by detecting
> that it's inside a string and do... something... in that case (what??),
> but detecting that is not particularly trivial (and so is not a suitable
> change just before a release).]

It is probably possible to ask current major mode if we are in a string.
If it is not possible, than it is probably worth it to invent a consistent
interface that major modes would implement.  I agree that it is not to be
done now, of course.  (And while I'm at it, it's a pity that "now" spans
the last two years or so.)

Paul