Re: Cut buffers and character encoding

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Cut buffers and character encoding
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:58:23 -0500

    > When killing and yanking even non-Latin text within Emacs, Emacs
    > seems to encode and decode the text using iso-latin-1 now.

    Ah, I misunderstood the check for newness, please try again (don't forget
    recompile x-win.el).

Didn't someone say that X11 specifies that the cut buffer is always
supposed to be in latin-1?  We changed Emacs so that C-x RET c
would specify another coding system in case you're using one,
but aside from when C-x RET c is used, Emacs should always treat
it as Latin 1.  Isn't that so?