Re: emacsclient/server finished, documentation, raising frames

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacsclient/server finished, documentation, raising frames
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:22:42 -0500

>> I take your objection to mean that you agree with my proposition, at the
>> condition that we improve pop-to-buffer's configurability.

> No.  I can perfectly imagine using a function for `server-window'.

Obviously, my suggestion is one that aims to reduce the code complexity at
the cost of a slightly reduced choice for the user.

So the question is: for what would you "use a function for `server-window'"?
Would display-buffer-function work as well?

> And I don't want to mess with `same-window-regexps' and friends just to be
> able to edit a file with emacsclient.

I said "improve pop-to-buffer's configurability" specifically because using
same-window-regexps is not a solution.  Rather something like introducing
a variable "pop-to-same-window" or something equivalent where the
"same-window" is decided by the call site rather than the buffer name.

        Stefan