Re: address@hidden: Build failure under Suse 10.0]

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Build failure under Suse 10.0]
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 11:49:26 +0100

Frank Schmitt skrev:
Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

You have in /usr/local/include/gif_lib.h:

typedef struct {
    int ByteCount;
    char *Bytes;
} ExtensionBlock;

i.e. no Function member.  It may be a stray file from some older
version. Please make sure it is the correct header file, in your

Indeed, that's the problem. I have searched via locate for gif_lib.h but
it didn't return this file as /usr/local is a remote NFS share which
isn't indexed.

The file /usr/local/include/gif_lib.h is a relict from an ancient libgif
(3.0), /usr/include/gif_lib.h is the correct one so the error is a
problem on my side and the bug can be considered closed.
Perhaps it's possible to enhance the configure test for libgif to check
if the installed libgif fulfills emacs requirements.

It already does, search for

checking for EGifPutExtensionLast in -lungif

in the configure output. I suspect this check succeeds because configure links with your libungif in /usr/lib. Not much we can do if the header file does not match the lib.

        Jan D.