Re: [bug]org-mode with flyspell-mode freezes emacs

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: [bug]org-mode with flyspell-mode freezes emacs
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:45:44 +0200

> This proves that the loop is in a loop that calls re-search-forward,
> but not re-search-forward.  However, the loop in flyspell-get-word
> does not call re-search-forward.
>
> I think that means that the loop is in a higher level frame.

The bug is in the following loop of `flyspell-word-search-backward'

      (while (and (not r) (setq p (search-backward word bound t)))
        (let ((lw (flyspell-get-word '())))
          (if (and (consp lw) (string-equal (car lw) word))
              (setq r p)
            (goto-char p))))

which, IIUC, is run by a `post-command-hook' and thus does not permit
quitting.  On the other hand, the intangibility property doesn't permit
to move to the desired position and thus the loop is never exited.  The
patch I sent earlier should correct this (although, I think, that loop
_is_ asking for troubles).

As an aside: This is the first time I try flyspell and I noticed that
it's unbearably slow.  Shouldn't the checking stuff be run by a timer?