Re: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:07:35 +0200

> You're the only one involved, in this scenario, so you're
> not treating anyone else badly.
>
> But this is a special case, and you're the one who has told me that
> some sysadmins set up Emacs in a nonstandard way for _other people_.
>
>     And what exactly do you intend to change?  Enabling cua-mode,
>     viper-mode, delete-selection-mode, pc-selection-mode, glasses-mode,
>     .. any minor mode?
>
> Perhaps this should be done for whichever modes we find are often
> being imposed on other users in this way.

We are interfering in that manner with the freedom of adapting Emacs
to one's wishes.  What next?  Will we use DRM to ensure that all
variables we consider worthy are left at standard settings?

Emacs is free software.  Part of the freedom is being able to do
things that upstream did not think a good idea.  I am strictly opposed
to booby-trapping Emacs with code that reverts a consciously made
decision downstream.