Re: address@hidden: Re: jit lock sit-for provokes redisplay provokes ime

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: jit lock sit-for provokes redisplay provokes imenu]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:01:42 +0200

> This is what we're thinking of using instead of
> buffer-chars-modified-tick.  It is a smaller change and more modular;
> presuming it solves the problem well enough, it is definitely
> preferable for installation now.
>
> So, what do people think of this change?

Nothing.  Hashing is not reliable and leads to non-reproducible
isolated cases of non-working.  It will also necessitate scanning
through the entire buffer whenever imenu-update-menubar is called.

I work with text buffers corresponding to books of a 1000 pages.
Those are several Megabytes large.  Every operation which scans the
whole buffer for some reason is going to be painful.