Re: makeinfo 4.7

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: makeinfo 4.7
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:27:31 -0400

> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:26:39 +0200
>
> > For only 3 directives that are very easy to change back to
> > back-compatible ones, I think such a requirement would be annoyingly
> > unjustified.
>
> Who would be annoyed by it?

People who don't have Texinfo 4.7 or later installed.

> IIRC, the distribution tarballs come with premade info files,
> anyway.

I thought the GNU project was about being able to modify the manual,
not only use whatever is shipped with the tarballs.

On top of that, a large number of users who aren't developers are
using the CVS code, where you must have Texinfo to produce the manual.