Re: makeinfo 4.7

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: makeinfo 4.7
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 08:46:53 -0400

> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 08:15:46 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 09:11:49 +0100
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
> > Cc: "Kim F. Storm" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> >
> > cc-mode.texi uses @headitem, which was also first introduced in Texinfo
> > 4.7.  How many other manuals also use 4.[78] features?
>
> If someone can run "make info" with makeinfo 4.2, we will know for
> sure.

I just did try that, and these two manuals are the only ones that fail
to build with makeinfo 4.2.  cc-mode uses @headitem and @tie, and rcirc
uses @indicateurl.

So I think it should be fairly easy to fix the manuals and avoid
forcing more people to gratuitously upgrade their Texinfo
installations.  Personally, I hate it when a new package I install (in
this case Emacs) requires me to upgrade a whole slew of other packages
for no good reason; I certainly wouldn't want us to do that to others.