Re: Canceling dialogues

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Canceling dialogues
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 03:10:30 -0400

> Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:10:25 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> CC:  address@hidden,  address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I've now checked on GNU/Linux, and the dialogs behave there in exactly
> > the same manner: even if you click the "X" button in the upper-right
> > corner of the dialog, to close the dialog, the command continues; you
> > need to type some character to stop it.
> >
> Thanks for checking. However I think Emacs behaviour here is a bug.

Arguably, yes.  I wrote that in my message.

> It looks safe to me to fix this before the release.

The safety of fixing it depends on what the fix is.  Based on my
knowledge of the intricacies of handling events that happen while
certain widgets belonging to the toolkit are active, I'm guessing that
the fix will not be simple; any non-trivial change in this area runs a
high risk of breaking something UI-related (we had examples of this
just a few days ago, with Emacs frame positioning on Windows).

I could be wrong, of course, so if someone shows how to fix this
``easily'', I will probably change my mind.

> I mean I find it
> hard to believe that it could interfere with something (except some
> users expecting the old behaviour of course).

You are talking about _intended_ consequences, whereas I fear the
_unintended_ ones.