[OT] Whether those with gnu.org addresses in any way represent FSF (was:

From: Alastair Houghton
Subject: [OT] Whether those with gnu.org addresses in any way represent FSF (was: Re: asm-mode patch to allow per-file comment character setting from file locals)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:18:34 +0100

On 14 Jun 2006, at 06:11, Miles Bader wrote:

Alastair Houghton <address@hidden> writes:
What I expect is that people with gnu.org addresses (who represent the
FSF, right?)

Not really, no.

You seem to be thinking of GNU as some sort of business -- businesses
often maintain fairly close control over who has access to their systems
and for what purposes they use them, and usually try to present a
unified public front.  GNU is not like that.

Rather maybe think of it like a FOO.edu address.

Actually, that's *exactly* how I think of it. The behaviour of a student with a FOO.edu address reflects on the institution of which they are a part, and it's in that sense that people with gnu.org addresses represent the FSF.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://www.alastairs-place.net