Re: asm-mode patch to allow per-file comment character setting from file

From: Alastair Houghton
Subject: Re: asm-mode patch to allow per-file comment character setting from file locals
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:46:06 +0100

On 11 Jun 2006, at 22:20, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I don't have time to look in detail at the patch, but here are some comments:

+(make-variable-buffer-local 'asm-comment-char)

Please don't do that. USe make-local-variable where necessary instead.

The reason I chose to use make-variable-buffer-local is that I want to be able to set it from a file local variables block (either the - *- version at the top, or the version at the bottom of my assembler files).

Is there a way to ensure that it's buffer local before that point without using make-variable-buffer-local?

+(put 'asm-comment-char 'safe-local-variable t)

Use an actual function instead rather than just t.

I'm guessing you think it should check the type for int or (in XEmacs case) char. Fair comment.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://www.alastairs-place.net