Re: M-g in dired

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: M-g in dired
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 20:56:06 -0400

    The quickest way to do this I know is to type C-x d RET, and to find
    the edited file in the (sometimes very long) list of all files
    in the same directory.

I think we want to make it easier to get the full visited file name
into the minibuffer after C-x d.  For instance, putting it into the
history after the default file name, so that you can get it by typing
M-n M-n.

    With the global key binding `M-g f' all this is achieved by `M-g f M-n RET'

Now I understand what you want, but it is not the same as the existing
command dired-goto-file.  That only moves point within a dired buffer.

What you want is not absurd as a command, but I don't think it belongs
in M-g.  Anyway, I think that the method using the history would be
better.