Re: play-sound-file & esd

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: play-sound-file & esd
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 06:38:44 +0200

Richard Stallman skrev:

And we have to get to the bottom of the anomaly that you are running
ALSA 1.0.11, which supposedly has a software mixer, but your
observation is that it does not allow multi-open.

I think Andreas may have answered that, if you open the old sound device (/dev/dsp) you don't get multi-open. You must use the ALSA API for this. But it sounds odd for esd to not use ALSA with such a recent version of esd.

The result of a test with the new ALSA implementation in Emacs would be interesting.

        Jan D.