Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:15:54 +0300

> From: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 06:26:59 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> "/" matches `tramp-completion-file-name-regexp'. Any single
> (expand-file-name "/") loads Tramp after my recent changes.

It's a nuisance to have a large package load whenever I type an
absolute file name and press TAB after typing a part that contains
only one slash.  Not only does it take time, it also causes the part I
typed to be obscured by the "Loading WHATEVER...done" message; I need
to type some key to get that message erased without having to wait for
its timeout.

Can we talk about this (mis)feature, and maybe find a less annoying
solution for whatever problem it is trying to solve?

> That's not new, because it's a similar story with Emacs 21 and
> `ange-ftp-completion-hook-function'.

It was annoying in ange-ftp as well.  There's no need to keep old
annoyances.

> The only difference is that Ange-FTP is loaded only for
> `file-name-completion´, whereas Tramp is loaded in more cases.

So it's even more annoying in Tramp, IMO.  Just typing "C-x C-f /",
without even a TAB, loads Tramp and regex-opt.

> I was thinking about a customer option, which let's the user decide
> whether (s)he wants Tramp hostname completion.

Can we perhaps take the hostname completion part out of Tramp (and out
of ange-ftp) and have it preloaded?