Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:43:08 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> In that case, tramp.el and regexp-opt should probably be preloaded,
>>> rather than be loaded every time via `emacs-startup-hook'.
>> ... or revert the change to the previous behaviour: method/ username/
>> hostname completion are active only after loading the first remote
>> file. I'm really undecided what's better.
>
> Or do as ange-ftp does: only load the completion code when the user hits TAB
> at something like "/".  After all, it's rather uncommon to do that (at least
> for me) unless I use Tramp.

That's what I've tried first. But this fails dumping with temacs (see
corresponding thread some days ago).

The reason that I fail with this approach (and ange-ftp succeeded) is
that `tramp-completion-file-name-handler´ is defined in tramp.el, but
`ange-ftp-completion-hook-function´ is defined in files.el. That's why
temacs tries to load tramp.el ...

No, I don't request that `tramp-completion-file-name-handler´ must be
moved to files.el or suchalike. I could live with the behaviour that
hostname completion is active after loading the first remote file
only. That's the behaviour we've got for years, and nobody did
complain.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.